JUMP TO: VETS-4212 Report
- About the EEO-1 Report
- EEO-1 Reporting Components 1 and 2
- Prepare the Roster Data Table
- Prepare Component 2 Data
- Develop Report Information
- Enter Analysis Information
- View and Enter Establishment Information (For one location)
- Perform Verification (Recommended)
- View (Errors) Summary Report
- Preview and Finalize EEO-1 Report
- Select Component
- Preview Report
- Export Report for Internal use
- Export File for EEOC Submission
- For multi-location filers: Tools for Multiple EEO-1 Reports
Important Note: While EEO-1 Report and VETS-4212 Report modules share similar functions, each is tailored to some specific requirements for the type of reporting.
Create the EEO-1 Report for Your Organization
About the EEO-1 ReportFederal contractors, meeting certain descriptions, are required to submit reporting on employee demographics to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). With the Reports > EEO-1 Report module, you can prepare the necessary reporting. While employee information and demographics can be extracted from balanceAAP > Data, additional information will be compiled in this module to identify your organization, in conformance with the reporting requirements.
For covered employers, below is an introduction to EEO-1 tools.
Cross-references: For more on the Federal requirements, see the EEOC Website —
EEO-1 Reporting Components 1 and 2As of July 2019, the EEO-1 format will also include a "Component 2" requirement for the reporting of 2018 (and 2017) employee counts by pay band for each EEO category. Instructions for preparing this component are included below; and more information is available via the Federal EEO-1 Web page, linked above.
Accordingly, the traditional EEO-1 submission is now designated as "Component 1."
Prepare the Roster Data TableThe first step is to build a new plan (or use a current plan) with a Plan Date that falls within the required survey period, typically July 1 – August 31 each year.
Accordingly, a Roster snapshot, corresponding to the chosen Plan Date, must be imported (or available in the current plan). Fields for Race, Gender, and EEO Job Group, along with supporting Reference Tables, will be used to develop the EEO-1 report.
Quick Tip: If you are creating a new plan (e.g., August 1 Plan Date, and a prior balanceAAP plan exists (e.g., January 1 date), Reference Tables may be brought in from that plan to support development of the EEO-1 report.
- Review how to classify jobs:   EEO Job Classifications
- For information on formatting and importing data —
Prepare Component 2 DataBecause additional Roster entries are required to build the necessary pay bands, take the following steps prior to visiting EEO-1 Report to complete the reporting —
- A Pay Bands Reference table will be already present in the system, so it is NOT necessary to import one. To view the structure of this “built in” system table, which includes Pay Band ID values and salary ranges, go to:   EEO-1 and VETS Additional Data / Component 2 Reference Table (Pay Bands).
- If necessary, export the current 2018 (or 2017) Roster from balanceAAP: Data > Export.
- Update the external Roster spreadsheet with Fields for: W2 Box 1^ (annual wages) AND (annual) Hours Worked.+
- Import the file to update the software’s Data Tables via the Overwrite Matching method: Data > Import.
^The system will select a pay band, based on this data entry. You may also include (and import) the Pay Band ID values. If the system detects a mismatch between wages and pay band, an alert will appear on the EEO-1 Report screen.
+Hours Worked should be entered, based on how your organization tracks hours:
For a non-exempt employee, the entry should be the actual hours worked for the year. If hours are not tracked for exempt employees, proxy hours (40, full-time exempt and 20, part-time exempt) should be multiplied by the number of weeks the employee worked in the year.
These pay data values can be viewed on the Data > Data Tables > Roster, and edited like other entries, if necessary. The Pay Band ID column will present a drop-down to select or change the pay band.
Cross-reference: For a library of Federal resources about how to file the EEO-1 Component 2 data submission, click the following link: EEOC/NORC.org.
Develop Report InformationOn the Report Information tab are the Analysis Information menu and the Establishment Information table. Also available from the tab header are tabs for Verification and Report.
Enter Analysis InformationEnter Analysis Information for inclusion in the EEO-1 report's header and footer. This information will be used by the Agency to identify the reporting organization and its contacts.
View and Enter Establishment Information (For one location)An EEO-1 report for an organization with one location will, accordingly, have one Establishment. Therefore, using the drop-down under Establishment, retain the default selection of: None.
Once created, the Establishment Information table will be organized by Establishment Code and describe the establishment, using EEO-1-required fields, including, but not limited to:
- Report Type (drop-down)
- Unit Number
- Unit Name
- Filed Last Year?
- NAICS Code
Page Controls for Establishment InformationThe Establishment Information menu provides the following tools:
- Display Hidden Columns — Only the first few menu columns display by default. To view hidden fields for a record, some of which are critical for the EEO-1 report accuracy, click the expand button, [Plus sign], on the right.
- Edit Establishment Information — To edit or append Establishment Information, click [Edit], and update the displayed fields. Click [Save].
Perform Verification (Recommended)The Verification tab allows you to initiate a scan on EEO-1 data prior to submission. A Notifications panel at the top of the page will indicate the last date the scan was run, if any, and summarize the results. Click [Verify] to run the check.
Any detected errors in the EEO-1 report will be displayed on the Verification errors table. To display errors by type, make a selection from the Error Type drop-down, located in the table header. Use the Fix These Records link, also in the table header. Select one of the provided solutions, and choose [Submit].
If errors remain in the table, return to the Report Information tab, and make any necessary changes, using the record-level [Edit] icon.
View (Errors) Summary ReportChose the [View Summary] button, which is located in the lower toolbar. The Summary Report will list EEO-1 > Verification errors by: Error Description, Field, Incorrect Value.
Preview and Finalize EEO-1 ReportNavigate to the Reports tab, and follow the instructions below.
Select ComponentAt the top of the screen, select:
- Component 1 (Traditional report)
- Component 2 (Add-on for pay bands)
Preview ReportFrom Report Viewing options, select: Preview. Then select to View Reports in:
Then click [Run Report] to open the EEO-1 report in a new window.
Export Report for Internal UseFrom Report Viewing options, select: Report Export. Then — Select a File Type for Reports:
- Rich Text
Click [Run Report]. You will be prompted to download and save the file.
Export File for EEOC Submission
Note: The EEOC’s portal for uploading the Component 2 submission file is now available,. For the latest agency guidance, refer to: EEOC/NORC.org.
From Report Viewing options, select: File Export.
Click [Run Report]. The exported file will be formatted according to the EEOC technical requirements for electronic submission. You will be prompted to download the Zip file.